Last week I was watching the news and my heart stopped as I heard the anchorman talk about the LDS missionaries being evacuated from Bolivia. There is constant turmoil between the campesinos (field workers) and the president and most times life goes on as normal. Unfortunately there are also times when things get so bad that the 3rd world country becomes a war zone. As most of you know, nearly five years ago I was there serving as a missionary when I went through the same thing. I loved my mission and am grateful I went. It was a challenging time in my life where I was faced with things that I never even imagined. Well, just like when I was locked in my house for weeks and had to hide my identity so the gringa wouldn't be found, the 87 North Americans serving there now faced the same thing. La Paz hasn't had North Americans there for awhile just because the difficulty they have of getting in and out of the area easily. I guess they learned from our experience! The other two missions, Santa Cruz and Cochabamba (where the temple is) still had gringos but they were evacuated immediately last week. My mission president, President Drake is currently serving with his wife as the area doctor to all the missionaries in Peru and Bolivia. It is incredible that they had to live through this experience two different times but they obviously were needed in that area where the people are so in need of the gospel. Just like they helped me make the long trek to the Ceja that frightening October evening I know they were in Peru welcoming in all the scared and overwhelmed missionaries who were taken from a country they had grown to love. Watching the news last week I started crying. I couldn't help but relive all those feelings I had as I walked through the broken glass, having rocks thrown at me, and constantly praying that no one noticed my blonde hair hiding in my black hat. Miracles happened that night five years ago and it happened again last week. My president wrote this email a few days ago and I would like to share it with you. It gives a few examples of all the things that just "worked out" because as we all know, the Lord can work miracles. I just hope and pray all the war ends so that those amazing people in Bolivia can continue to work and support their family. They are individuals I admire so much and who are perfect examples of Jesus Christ. May they be protected in the weeks and months to come!
AMO BOLIVIA!!!!Dear missionaries from La Paz...
Yesterday we attended a meeting at the Peru MTC with Elder Nash, Area President, and the 87 American missionaries they evacuated from Bolivia (Cochabamba and Santa Cruz missions - no North Americans in La Paz) with 1 North American couple. They arrived very late Monday night. Others flew to Argentina and Brazil and they will soon be coming here. Today the Area Presidency met with the missionaries and the 4 mission presidents in Lima to reassign them.
I want to share some of the things Elder Nash said yesterday because it was really wonderful... He told them how much the brethren had been worried about them and loved them and that this decision was not taken lightly. He spent many hours on his knees and talking to others (mission presidents in Bolivia, embassy alerts, etc) before he received the impression they were to evacuate them now. He said a member of the Twelve would reassign them so they could be assured they were going where the Lord wanted them to go. Some only came with one suitcase. They were told they would receive the things they needed until their suitcases could be sent here. Every single missionary called their parents on Tuesday! (no confidentiality any more)
He also shared that many miracles occurred for this to happen... including the airline official telling him it was impossible to get them all on a plane and he telling them they would figure it out - Remember they were non-members he was talking to... They were all on the SAME plane coming out! All 87 if them.
36 missionaries did not have their passports. They could not get to Santa Cruz mission headquarters. At the end of the meeting US Embassy officials (not just one!) were there to expedite duplicate passports good for 1 year and told them not to worry, they'd have passports before the end of the day! They came to us! That was also a miracle!! One doesn't get a passport in hours!
We talked to one missionary. He said they NA in his area were given 1/2 hour to pack and get to the bus station. They had a 10 hour bus ride and then got on another bus for 10 hours to get to Cochabamba. Just rounding up these missionaries to get them to the airport on time was amazing. They were all over both missions. They were gathered on Sun and Monday. You have to know there are blockades and fighting all over Bolivia now. Someone told us Santa Cruz looks like a war zone. The Mission President in Santa Cruz is American; the one in Cochabamba is Mexican. Pres. Maynes in Santa Cruz told us he won't leave until all his missionaries are safe. Latins from other countries like Chile and Peru and not liked either. They told us they might have to evacuate others. They are just staying inside now.
Today was amazing too... These mission presidents are finding mattress, bedding, rooms for about 100 missionaries - all you return missionaries know how hard it is to find adequate housing for missionaries. This is all over their missions... Everyone is working together - this is the Lord's church!
He asked the missionaries to dedicate themselves at this point to be a better missionary than they were. He recounted a story of Sis. Hinckley in Alaska. His parents were present at a meeting...
She said you want me to tell you you are handsome - you are
You want me to tell you how glad we are that you are here serving - we are
You want me to tell you that we appreciate the sacrifice you are making to be a missionary. I will not say that... "Because of the sacrifice of others before you (the pioneers, the prophet Joseph), to serve a mission is the least you can do..." He then told how Joseph couldn't believe that learned men persecuted him for telling the truth and he read... JS HIs. 1:24-25. He said the Lord knows us, who we are and what circumstances we are in. He answers prayers and protects His missionaries. We felt the spirit so strong there and are so glad we are also in His service at this time of our lives.
We love you missionaries. We are "finding" our Latin missionaries one by one actually in miraculous ways! We have been observing the problems in the US economy and have been concerned as everyone is! After this meeting I felt a calm. If we live the way He has ask us to, we need not fear the future. We are in His hands. This is a witness of the Hand of the Lord!
1 comment:
Lucky for us God gives us tender mercies. You are an example of such a tender mercy. We love you Brooke!!!
Post a Comment