Thursday, January 15, 2009

Power outage

This past Monday night St. George had a little power outage. Okay, so I'd like to say it lasted hours and I was able to kick it into "family preparedness" mode but it was only like 40 minutes. And I was not prepared. I had just gotten home from dinner and it was pretty much dark outside. As we drove down Bluff Street there was a sudden blackout. It was crazy!! The power quickly came back on but by the time I made it back to my apartment (a whole mile away) the whole town of St. George was out. I guess a power line caught fire and knocked out everyone's power for awhile. In the meantime every resident in Dixie scrambled to find alternatives for illumination. Candles? Nope, got none. Lanterns, nada. Fireplace, on this salary, zilch. Flashlight? Flashlight you say? WE DO HAVE ONE!! Ooops, the batteries are dead. There goes that idea. There McKenna and I were having to come up with something to do to entertain ourselves. We relied on the meager amount of light our cellphones produced but that light show quickly became old and we were back to square one. So there we were . . .in the pitch dark . . .no cell phone service . . . no tv (thank goodness it wasn't Tuesday night - American Idol was starting!) . . . no light. And then the brillant idea came to me!!! Although my phone didn't have service, it DID still record videos! So as we sat there, wondering when our pioneer days would be over, I just pushed record and let the good times roll. Here are only a few samples of our (un)eventful Monday night. As you can see . . . wait, it was dark! As you can hear, we were thoroughly enjoying ourselves. However, nothing brought us more joy when we heard the clicking noises indicating the power was back on! On one last note, Brookenna feels an Oscar coming with these two productions! Enjoy!!!

For those of you who are movie-challenged just push the side ways triangle to listen! You're welcome, mom!


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is your mentally challenged mother speaking. The first one doesn't work, even when I DO PUSH the little arrow!

Love you! Mom

Katie said...

It works but you can only hear sound and then it is hard to hear what you are saying over the music! You guys sound like you were having a blast! I am glad that you are coming this weekend! We will have to do something fun!

Brooke said...

Okay, so the first one IS working. I guess the music was just over powering it so I moved it down to the bottom so you shouldn't hear it until you scroll down there. If you do, you could just push the pause button while you listen to the video. Katie, about the darkness . . . um well considering we were in the dark there would be only sound!

Katie said...

what about the light from the phone! I thought maybe I would see at least shadows or something! Anyway he guys are so funny! You crack me up!

banananutmeg said...

Hey, It's megan (lawrence) willardson. Just thought I'd let you know I found your blog!
Funny, I was working on a post about a very similar experience:
We had a brief power outage yesterday, and couldn't find a working flashlight either! I felt like an idiot, burning my fingers with a stupid tea light candle (spilling wax on my shirt and crying kids that are reminding me of the rule: "not to touch the candles") and rifling through a whole dang closet full of food storage to find the perfectly labeled BOX of flashlights (you know, in case of an emergency?) only to discover we have ZERO batteries in the house. SO prepared! ha! Luckily, the power was back on soon, and I discovered that more important than batteries would be a solar powered tv. I can live without light, man. We need some Dora up in here.