Wednesday, February 11, 2009

A day of infamy

I'm at a loss of words, something VERY unusual for me. Those who keep up with this blog know that while in California I saw a flash appear on Christmas morning on my drive to Craig's house. We all joked that I was going to get hauled off to jail. I waited to hear from anyone about it and in January I got the letter and pictures indicating that, indeed, I "failed" to stop completely at the red light before turning right. Failed? Did they seriously just say that? I guess the California police never got the memo about the whole "California stop" thing. I had to fill out the paper work and say that it was me driving the car. With all that paper work they said nothing about how much the ticket would be. I mailed the papers in and waited.
A few weeks later I got another letter from the San Diego Federal Court saying my court date had been set to March 2nd. That if I wanted to come fight it I would need to show up that day and if I didn't and wanted to just pay the ticket, I could do that too. Still, no amount of cost for the ticket was mentioned. All they said was that another letter would be arriving within two weeks of the court date that would say how much I owe. So, I kept waiting.
It seemed to take forever but the day finally arrived yesterday. I had just gotten back from a friendly trip to Costco when I checked the mail. I saw that the court had sent me another letter and I was hoping they would just tell me how much it is so I could get it over with. I opened it up and saw the same exact thing that I did in the two previous letters. RIDICULOUS!!! I was so annoyed. Then I flipped it over and saw what I had been waiting for all this time. After nearly two months of worrying about it and wanting to just get this thing done I saw how much I would owe the lovely state of California. How much was it you ask? $100? $200? I would have been okay with either one of those (although who really wants to pay for a ticket?). Nope, it was $436.
$436
Seriously? Was I seeing things correctly? That couldn't be right. Actually, it's true. They are charging me 436 big ones for coasting around a corner . . .with no one around . . .on Christmas morning. You've got to be kidding me. That is more than my entire trip to California cost WITH presents!! And what ticks me off is they did all this with a stupid camera so they paid nothing but for the stamps they used to mail the ticket. I mean, a cop wasn't even there to cite me or anything so the state is REALLY making bank on this one. Deep breath, Brooke. Keep breathing.

Last night dad asked what happens if I don't pay it. I quickly read him the list:
1. A warrant goes out for my arrest (dad said to just not go back to California - yeah right)
2. They suspend my license (dad says walking is good for us - double yeah right)
3. They charge me an additional $300 and refer my account to a collections agency
4. My wages could be garnished (like I have much now!)
and of course because I'm a teacher I have an additional punishment . . .
5. I GET FIRED FOR MESSING WITH THE LAW!!!

To all those out there who get tickets regularly, how do you do it? I would be broke. I already am. This is my first offense so they should be nice to me, right? I think so! Anyway, I think I'm going to start the "Help Brooke Survive Fund" so if you'd like to donate, you know where to find me.

Two more words for you . . .
THIS SUCKS!

No comments: