Wednesday, November 12, 2008

Sad day


Hi everyone. It's me, Brooke. I'm usually not one to just get on here and start typing unless I have a big event to share but I had a really tough day today. As most of you know I am a 4th grade teacher. I LOVE my job and to be honest with you, don't even think of it as a job. I can't think of anything else I would rather do than be with my little friends all day long AND get paid for it. It usually takes about two months to "train" my students but by October they are as good as gold and letting them go in May is rough. Today while I was teaching my kids that learning how to do long division IS possible I got a visit from a staff member of my school. She pulled me aside and told me that one of my students had gone in to wake her mom up to say goodbye this morning before school and found her dead. My little 9 year old who is such a sweet heart and always does good had her world crash all around her.

I can't even explain what went through my mind at that moment. My heart ached for her loss, how she'll never have a mother to brush her hair or help her with her homework. I also looked around at my other 25 students who were quietly working on their math pages and imagined how they would react to this devastating news. We're all tight in Miss Porter's class, we're family. So what happens to one of us happens to all of us. From a loose tooth, broken hand, cool bug found on the playground, and even a new level conquered on the Wii we are all apart of it. As I thought about what I'd say I was at a loss of words. When I finally did break the news there was a somber mood that instantly filled the room. Questions were asked, ideas were shared on how we can help her, but more than anything we just cried for our little friend.

Never once in college do they teach us how to deal with this as a teacher. It's one of those things where we just rely on our gut and kick into 'mother' role. I'm sure I didn't help them very much but I do hope that they all went home tonight and hugged their moms a little tighter and a little longer. I wish I could hug my mom right now and tell her how grateful I am for when she brushed my hair, helped me with my homework and even for her phone call the other day just 'to say hi.' It's times like these I realize it's those life lessons that randomly happen that help us be more grateful for the people we have in our lives. So to all of you in my life, near or far, I just have one thing to say . . . I love you!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks Brooklyn. Good message and thought. Hope that your student is ok. Sorry to hear about her loss.

Love you sis. Craig

Anonymous said...

You're a sweetie. I love you, mom

VerHoef 5js said...

Brook, I am so sorry you had to experience something like this...I do hope your sweet student is in good hands..it sounds like she has a great support group in school...I stand in awe at your talents and abilities...keep up the good work you are doing..I know those little children love you. Lori