Dad went in for knee surgery this morning. His knee has been bothering him for quite a while now and the doctor has tried multiple things to see if he could get it to feel better but nothing would work. The cortisone injection only lasted about a week and that didn't even take the pain completely away. So they finally opted for the knee surgery. They knew that his knee had bone spurs and figured he would have other things wrong once they got in there. As you can see from the picture above, dad didn't seem too nervous for the surgery. I think his kids did enough of that for him.
Here one of the many nurses was preparing his right leg for the surgery. With multiple back surgeries behind him, this seemed like cake.
This is the best part of the surgery . . .the nurse shaving dad's leg. She asked if he wanted the other leg shaved as well but he nicely declined. Just a heads up dad . . . it is going to itch like crazy once it starts growing back!!!
The surgery lasted a lot longer than anticipated due to the fact that they found many bone spurs along with a torn meniscus and arthritis. The doctor thinks that the problems started clear back when he was a catcher for his little league team as a kid. So all you ball players beware!
Besides it lasting longer than they thought it would everything went smoothly and dad got to go home this afternoon. Here his nurse is pushing him out to the car and as you can see he looks totally stoned!! AWESOME!!!I just talked to mom and she said he is doing really well and is keeping his food down. He hasn't taken his first dose of medicine since the GOOD drugs haven't worn off yet. We all wish him a speedy and healthy recovery. Feel free to leave a comment for dad/Ed and I'm sure his slave/cook/chauffeur/girlfriend will make sure he reads them! We love you dad and are glad it went well. Take it easy and don't try to do too much, too fast. We know how those stubborn Porters are. Milk it for all it's worth!!!




4 comments:
Just a little update. He is doing well. He had no pain meds until bedtime. He is NOT a good patient - but we already knew that, didn't we? I thought I might need to stay home from work tomorrow to take care of him. Now I think I NEED to go to work tomorrow to keep from killing him! Heaven save us from stubborn men!!
Hang in there!! I think I got some of his stubborness! I always do things after surgery that I shouldn't too! Let me know if you need anything like maybe some good movies or books!!
Eduardo, it couldn't have happened to a nicer guy! Just a thought - I guess I know what to look forward to in about 10 years, right? Hang in there, bud, this too shall pass!
Tom
Too bad I live in South Carolina. Oh the therapy I could do on that knee! I figure if a 90 year old grandma can do an hour of therapy you could do 2-3 easy right Ed? He looks like some of our patients that have had surgery! Hope it doesn't hurt too bad once the good meds wear off! Jan, where are you working? I didn't know you went back to work.
Post a Comment