Thursday, October 16, 2008

Ahoy Mate!

Ahoy there! So while we're all here in the freezing cold weather of Utah (although it was a nice 86 degrees down south today!) mom and dad are off frolicking in the Mexican Riviera. Yes that's right kids! They are off celebrating their anniversary/birthdays/retirement/etc./etc. and flew the (empty) nest. They were down in Southern California for Ally's baptism and headed for the LA port within hours of her taking the plunge into the font. It was a seven day cruise to Puerto Vallarta, Mazatlan, and Cabo san Lucas. It was a much needed vacation, but by the sounds of things mom is a little sick and tired of the heat. Hey mom! I'll trade you any day of the week. We're all glad you guys are having a great time and don't expect any 5 course meals when you get back home. Enjoy the escargot for me! Here's a little bit of mom's latest letter to all the kids. Enjoy!

Hola from Cabo San Lucas! Okay - I am about done with the heat and humidity. If I ever come to Mexico again, it will be in February.
We are having a really relaxing time. Way too much food -but I guess that´s what you are supposed to do on a cruise. We ate at Bubba Gump´s in Puerto Vallarta. Other than that it has been on the boat.
We are only in Cabo for a few hours today which is okay with me. I am done with shopping and sweating and swatting at gnats.
We didn´t do much yesterday. I didn´t even leave the boat in Mazatlan. My feet were so swollen from the day before. Walking on those cobblestone streets made my knee really ache. Dad got off the boat for a couple of hours and walked around and bought a t-skirt.
Congrats to Holly who bought a new car and rented out her house in Amarillo. Now I will let all the rest of you question her for all the details.
Also, congrats to Maryn who loves her new laptop.
In some ways this has reminded me a lot of Bolivia. A lot of the stuff for sale looks the same but is more expensive here. Of course, I realize that we are in a tourist trap area. Dad loves to barter. I don´t enjoy it as much as he does. I figure that people have to make a living, so I usually take the price after they´ve lowered it one or two times - I don´t hold out for rock bottom. I figure it is okay if they think I am too stupi to barter - at least (hopefully) their kids will have food for dinner.
Well, guess I should close for now. Dad has already left the internet cafe and is sitting outside in the shade with a cold drink. We thought we´d have lunch ashore, but I´m not really very hungry and we have to be back on the tender by 1.
Love you all tons. We will arrive in LA on Saturday morning and give you a call (except for Jeff :) ) We are scheduled to drive home on Monday, stopping by to pick up a package from Brooke on our way through. But dad is starting to whine about leaving Craig´s on Sunday and driving to St. George, so don´t know for sure what will happen.
Sorry to Brooke and Katie for being sick.
We love you guys. Do they have adults-only cruises¿ I would love to actually get IN the pool and the hot tub without a million kids that have been left there by their parents for hours at a time. Also, these pools (4) have fresh water, not salt water - so that is a big improvement over Carnival. Actually, pretty much everything is an improvement over Carnival.
We love all of you guys!

1 comment:

VerHoef 5js said...

Sounds like you had so much fun! Reminded me when all the cloggers went on our little cruse..Happy Birthday,and Happy every thing else! Let's get together.

PS can I hire Brook to be my blog writter? She is so funny

Lori